Saturday, January 31, 2009

Elena's Snowy Day!






Elena took a field trip with her school to 'Chaparral Ice' - the local skating rink. There, they got to play in make-shift snow that was "dumped" (we actually saw the bobcat dumping it right before walked in the rink) for all the kids to play in. Elena was super excited because since Christmas she kept asking, "Where's the snow, mommy?" Naturally she would ask since after all it was Christmas time and there was no snow here like what she's read in the books and seen on TV.
Well, it was super cold when we walked into the room where the rink was located and we got ready to jump into the snow. As soon as we stepped onto the rink, the story changed. "Mommy, it's slippery - don't let go of me!", "It's too cold!", "I don't want to be here - I don't like it." Then what set the rest of the morning was her friend playingly threw snow at her face. That was it! She didn't want to have anything left to do with it. I tried as hard as I could to show her how fun it was and how long she's wanted to see this, but of course mommy didn't help. Ms. Mackie, Ms. A, and Ms. Koker, her teachers, each came up to her and made her laugh, put snow on her, and helped her do everything they could to make her happy. Though Elena was still very cautious of it all, they did a whole lot more than I ever could. That's was makes them such amazing teachers!!!
Afterwards, we had a picnic lunch outside on the small grassy area, where it was a total change of temperature from 'bbrrr' to 'sunny sweat down the back'. Overall it was a beautiful day and successful field trip. Maybe one day we'll take Elena to see the real thing by visiting family up north.



No comments: